What Those Nasty White Chunks That Sometimes Come From Your Throat Are

Noreen September 23, 2010 222

Today I Found Out what those foul smelling, small, white-ish, chunks that you can sometimes feel at the back of your throat when you swallow are. They’re called Tonsilloliths or Tonsil Stones.

Although most people experience these little white balls  at the back of the throat that often get coughed up into the mouth, this widespread affliction is rarely talked about and the awareness about it very low.  Many suffer in silence believing that their alone or the occurrence is nothing more than dregs of last night’s dinner.  Another reason people don’t dispense with their problem of tonsil stones is because they are embarrassingly nasty and foul smelling!

Tonsilloliths, also known as tonsil stones are stinky little globs of mucus, dead cells, debris and bacteria that form in the tonsil crypts which are simply small pockets or divots that appear in everyone’s tonsils. When the trapped dead cells, mucus, and debris harden or calcify, they form white/yellow ball in the tonsil pockets. They usually appear as tiny little chunks in the shape of cauliflower and smell like they could wake up your dead grandma.

The strong unpleasant odor is caused by a build-up of sulfur-producing bacteria that feeds on the tonsil stones collected in the crypts of the tonsils and is a combination of hydrogen sulfide, methyl mercaptan, and other stinky substances that form in it. Tonsil stones can range from a size of a small peppercorn to a rather large size causing discomfort in the throat and in some cases uncomfortable side effects, including sore throat and ear pain and tonsillitis. It is also believed to be one of the reasons for Halitosis (bad breath).

Tonsil-StonesTonsil stones are fairly common in adults and children. However, they tend to occur most often in people who suffer from chronic inflammation in their tonsils or repeated bouts of tonsillitis. Studies have shown that people who have had their tonsils removed, under most circumstances, almost never experience tonsil stones.

There are some effective treatments for reducing the occurrence of tonsil stones. Removing one’s tonsils is an option, but not the best solution as tonsils play a role in the immune system and are meant to function like nets, trapping incoming bacteria and virus particles that are passing through your throat. Easy home treatments like gargling salt water, or non-alcohol mouthwash is often advised for getting rid of tonsiloliths. A water pick that emits powerful pulses of water is also a useful tool for clearing the tonsil crypts. The simplest solution is to use a cotton swab or toothbrush so you can push the nasty little things out and rinse your mouth free of them.

• There are about 9,000 taste buds on the surface of the tongue, in the throat, and on the roof of the mouth. Taste buds contain chemoreceptors that respond to chemicals from food and other substances that are dissolved by the saliva in the mouth.
  • Your mouth produces 1 liter (1.8 pints) of saliva a day. We each produce about 10,000 gallons of saliva in a lifetime. Saliva is required for taste—until food is dissolved by saliva, we cannot taste it.
  • The average American eats 50 tonnes of food and drinks 50,000 liters (11,000 gallons) of liquid during his life. It also takes food seven seconds to go from the mouth to the stomach via the esophagus.

Check Out Our New Book and "Nerdy Stuff" TIFO Shop! »

1. CS April 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm - Reply

I’ve had this for years and didn’t realize it was so common. I’ve always called them ‘Throat Pearls’

2. ss October 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm - Reply

haha i always thought they were popcorn kernals!!! haha

• Sam October 29, 2013 at 6:13 pm - Reply

HAHA, I did too, like popcorn or pieces of food. Glad I found this and know what is is now

3. NV November 21, 2011 at 6:43 pm - Reply

Glad it normal to an extent and not crazy disease or like your brain is slowly dissolving and seeping through the cracks lol.

4. AB January 14, 2012 at 8:00 am - Reply

I’m only 12 and I’ve been getting these for years… I’m glad it’s normal :) I always thought they were little chunks of peanuts.

5. Jessica January 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm - Reply

Glad to know! Just started getting them! There are so many of them that I’ve dug out… I’m surprised my suite-mate hasn’t accused me of being bulimic yet!

• Sam October 29, 2013 at 6:15 pm - Reply

HA, I’m always gaging myself trying to get them out, they are annoying

• mema January 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm - Reply

I get HUGE ones since I have a hoke in my tonsils. What really helped alot on getting them out is the atick you would use on pimples! That have 2 sides. Using the side that is like a baby pin! Or gently using a boby pin to pull them out

6. pebo February 6, 2012 at 8:52 pm - Reply

I’ve been getting those for years and I’m also very prone to having strep ….. those things stink sooo bad

7. Vicki February 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm - Reply

I have had these for years, my daughter calls me dog breath

• Luna February 19, 2014 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Sorry your daughter says that. :-(
      I’ve had mean things said about my breath as well. I’ve learned just to always have breath mints in my purse.

8. Holly February 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm - Reply

oh… That explains a lot…. I’m just glad its normal. :-)

9. beckcy February 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm - Reply

oh thank God I’ve been getting these things for a while now glad its not nothing serious my cousin told me it was dookie Lmaooo that’s how bad it smells

10. Shon March 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm - Reply

I didn’t know what I was coughing up and when I would smell it to find out, I damn near passed out. They smell terrible but I’m glad it isn’t anything serious.

11. why u no March 30, 2012 at 12:17 am - Reply

I’d had these for years , but didn’t know what they were and I’m glad it’s normal. Some of these comments crack me up !(‘:

12. Faye April 6, 2012 at 5:39 am - Reply

I get strep throat and ear infections all the time. Then I went to see an ENT doctor and he told me about tonsilloliths and I learn to cough it out every week and for two years I never had another throat infection! Hope this helps!

13. Me April 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm - Reply

I have been trying to figure out what these gross little things were for YEARS! They make my breath smell SO bad, but no matter how much I brushed, flossed, or scraped my tongue, I couldn’t get the smell to go away….now I know why! They’re stuck in my tonsils….so now I have to get buy a water pick or try to brush my tonsils….I don’t even know where my tonsils are! LOL!

14. h April 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm - Reply

To remove them, I used to use a cotton swab or a toothpick. But now I just wash my hands and use my index finger to remove it. It is quick and easy for me. I get it like once or twice a year.

15. brittany April 29, 2012 at 9:35 am - Reply

I have pains in my stomach I just always thought that was the cause ! I wanna get rid of them for good!

16. Mr Gout April 30, 2012 at 10:32 pm - Reply

Have dealt with these for years. I just use a dull tarter scraper (the hooked kind – not as scary as it seems) and pop those things out every morning. If I don’t, they will build up and be nasty. Just be real careful. It’s become routine. Have had tonsillitis at least 3-4 times in my life, they should be taken out!

• Charlie January 18, 2014 at 3:24 pm - Reply

My mom uses that to clean out her ears of earwax.

17. April May 9, 2012 at 10:23 am - Reply

I use to get those as a teenager- but I also got Tonsilitis ALOT too. As soon as I got my tonsils out- no more!

18. Lashonda Webb May 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm - Reply

I’ve had these since I was 10 years old. I am now 21. And I just stick my finger against my tonsils and push them out. They do stink. Luckily they don’t effect my breath. I just knew when I was younger that it had something to do with cancer. Lol. Luckily I’m not the only one. Hello fellow peers who share the same weird nuisance I do..lol.

19. kim May 18, 2012 at 1:09 pm - Reply

I always use to get these from an early age followed by endless bouts of tonsilitis until the age of 14 when i had them removed. And yes i agree they were foul smelling and mine use to get so large that i could actually feel them when i swallowed as though there was food trapped in my throat…i’m now in my 40′s and i suffer from throat infections, but nothing as bad as what i suffered for about 10yrs as a child..that was the best thing ever to get rid of those pesky smelly lumps..lol

20. Nessa May 24, 2012 at 8:09 am - Reply

I always get them. They are usually white. They are usually the size of a nerd (nerd is a piece of candy) but recently I had one, it was brownish and it was the size of a popcorn. GROSS!!! When I sneezed it came out. YUCK!! While I was at work.. EMBARRISING!

21. Amby May 29, 2012 at 2:16 am - Reply

So, I always thought maybe I was the only one this happened to lol. Glad I’m not the only one. They smell awful and I feel like I have to cough them up and it’s a task sometimes. I’ve been getting them since I was about 18 (I’m 20 now) and have no clue why I started to get them out of nowhere.

22. Crazyb June 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm - Reply

I gave up taking vitamin supplements, mine went away (once out) and have not come back. I guess it maybe the body’s way of purging unwanted minerals/vitamins whether from food or supplements. I hope it helps some of you.

23. Rufus June 19, 2012 at 7:10 am - Reply

I had them for years. Had my gall bladder removed because of gall stones and they went away.

24. *2C4U* June 19, 2012 at 10:54 am - Reply

i allll ways get them and like i take a bobby pin a take them out or us salt water and they come out when i wake up in the morning

25. Natalie July 12, 2012 at 3:54 am - Reply

I had them all my life and finally figured out how to get them out, so I squashed the crap out of my tonsils with anything I could get back there and could litteraly fill a small container with them. I guess I got them all out cause I didn’t have them for about three years and then out of nowhere they came back, they are so disgusting and they even keep me up at night because I can taste the fowlness on my breath and I can even feel them in the back of my throat. You would think I’m talking about something living back there but it’s like some yucky creature in your throat that won’t come out, I quests I’m gonna have to get the tools out and go ape crazy on my tonsills again cause I really don’t want to get a tonsillectomy at 30 but it looks to be that way. Any suggestions?

• Tamsin Mc Cormick January 3, 2014 at 8:55 am - Reply

Drink water with your meals – they are symptomatic of dehydration.

26. sandraw July 12, 2012 at 10:46 am - Reply

I am at work and i am laughing soooooo hard at these comments. I get them too and they are foul smelling. I asked my doctor just today what are they called because when i get them, my throat is sore on the side.

27. tonya July 19, 2012 at 7:08 am - Reply

So I googled “what is that nasty smelling yellowish thing that comes out my tonsils?” And came to this page. I am still laughing at the comments! I have had this for years but today was the first time I noticed it came from my tonsils and got a sore throat with it. I thought it was tartar before, LOL! I’m so glad it’s normal because I was dredding having to go to my doctor with one of those “crap nuggets” in a baggie.

28. sheena July 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm - Reply

im so happy that people have them i thought i was the only one getting them i use to think it was because i didnt brush my teeth enough …

29. Lady_D July 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm - Reply

LMBO! my husband jumped out bed looking at me crazy. i can’t stop laughing at these comments! i started getting those annoying horrible “stinkoids” about four years ago right after i had my baby. i never knew what they were. I am sooo relieved it’s not cancer! it is so embarassing, especially when out of nowhere, one comes up in you mouth while in the middle of a conversation lol. i’m getting my tonsils removed. i want this gone

30. toni August 17, 2012 at 8:01 am - Reply

thank you all for the comments. i didn’t have a clue what in the hell those little white maggots in my throat were. i just always thought i was a freak alien or something and golly those things stink, they smell like a pigs a$$. The first time i coughed one out in my sink i inspected it closely and the smell just about made me vomit. i squeeze those gross pearls out with my index finger kinda like popping a pimple, and after i get them out i no longer have dragons breath.

31. faveO August 17, 2012 at 11:41 pm - Reply

I’ve had these for the best part of 15 years, I was prone to tonsillitis when I was younger but put it down to being tired and smoking occasionally as they would get worse after smoking. Now they seem to occur when I am tired or run down , they used to be a lot bigger but are now the size of a large grain of sand or smaller and more dispersed, I think they give me stomach ache as it tends to go hand in hand when I swallow saliva just after picking them out with my tounge. I’ve tried salt water but to be honest never kept up the routine of gargling day & night as it was a royal pain in the a*se. Had tonsillitis for the first time in 20 years a few months ago and thought the antibiotics would cure it but it’s still there. I guess I’ll just have to live with it, but occasionally it does make me a bit paranoid about potentially smelly breath. Glad to know I am not alone in this.

32. smiles August 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm - Reply

I always wondered what they were, my mom said “eww” and said she never had it happen to her, but they come out when I cough and have a cold.

33. vejju August 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm - Reply

Good explanation Noreen , thanks.

34. kahh August 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm - Reply

huh. I always just thought I had cancer or something.

35. CrankStrid3r September 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm - Reply

Bahahaha, first of all if you guys thought you had cancer why wouldn’t you go to a doctor… just sayin
    My brother and I have had these for years, we call them “throat munchies” and now I know why the smell like a pile of cow-manure. thnx for all the comments

36. Hun73r706 September 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm - Reply

I have found using a *new nose sucker aka booger sucker with hot water and spraying the tonsils a couple of times it takes care of the problem for a time. Enjoyed the descriptive nicknames…I have always called it throat cheese. This is the stuff that keeps one humble.

37. Genevieve September 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm - Reply

I am 34 and started getting these about 4 years ago after having severe case of tonsillitis. One of my tonsils swelled up pretty badly, even scabbed over… and after I healed I guess it formed a pocket and now and then a small piece of food can get caught in it and will bother the crap outta. I have to do a lot just to get it out

38. Elle September 12, 2012 at 2:44 am - Reply

This article is brilliant, Noreen! Also, these comments are fun and interesting to read! It is good that we’re all communicating about this over the faceless inter-webs… because I’m sure this has been an affliction of many many more people than just us whom have discovered this article!
    I’m also sure most people don’t just go around talking about this aloud to all people.

I have discovered these things off and on over many years. They come and go… and we all agree, they ARE disgusting. I don’t like when I can feel one in my mouth. Need to spit it out immediately! Being so sensitive to smell… I hate knowing that something that foul can come from my very own throat! That is spends even a second in my mouth…Creepy! YUCK!

I’ve got a sore throat and have had some cold symptoms for a couple days… and I just spit out one of the largest ones I’ve ever had.

I remember thinking…years ago “I have impeccable oral hygiene…what is this? Why do I have it?” I knew they were coming from my throat. Told mom and she couldn’t relate. Bad breath disgusts me more than most things to do with the body… so I don’t like the idea that I could have it!
    I figured I was alone. I went to my doctor… I think I did bring one in a bag years ago. She had no idea what it was or how to help me. That is scary! I’m bringing her this article!

39. tiffany evans September 26, 2012 at 3:45 pm - Reply

So glad I finally looked this up.I’ve called them stink bombs they are horrid.they are very annoying.I hope that the non alcohol listerine works.I would love to get rid of these tonsil stones.

40. Lisa September 28, 2012 at 11:49 am - Reply

I have them now :-( I’ve always called then “curds” So gross! I can’t seem to get them out this time though!! Ugh! I’m going to try salt water or may the booger sucker thing, great idea Hun73.

41. RAQTEXAS October 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm - Reply

So glad I finally know what the heck these things are! I get them too often and they stink soo bad that it made me feel bad for my BF poor guy cause I know it makes my breath smell bad lol Im at work and coughed and one flew out! Nasty I know…not happy about having to fish them out but damn it I sure will to get them out! Any one know how we can avoid getting them!?? I use mouth wash every night…should I step it up?
    Gald Im not alone:)

42. Bostongal October 5, 2012 at 10:36 am - Reply

Um wow! I’ve had this for years! I thought the weird taste in my mouth was from my filling. My doctors looked at me like I was crazy. And when I have coughed them up I thought it was old food stuck in my throat or teeth. Like the white film stuff you brush off. I floss, mouth wash and brush twice a day . I sometimes barely kiss my boyfriend because I’m so self conscious about the smell. I’ve tried EVERYTHING!!! These past three days I’ve had the itchy throat ears and yesterday morning my boyfriend said my breath smelled like death . I’m so self conscious about it and have been for years! 20 minutes ago I coughed them up and smelled and seriously ran to the bathroom to wash my hands omg disgusting!!!!! I’m beyond happy I just found this !! I don’t care I want these things removed! And why did my doctor NEVER tell Em about this!!!!!!?!?!?!?

P.s I too thought it was peanut pieces at one time :/

43. Danielle October 8, 2012 at 5:07 am - Reply

I get them too pretty often (about once a month), little tiny ones up to about the size of a pea. Mine don’t smell that bad though…they have a slight odor, but nothing compared to what you all are describing. I always thought it was old food or something coming out of my lungs!! I’ve been getting them for about 5 years now I guess.

44. Albert October 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm - Reply

I have had them since i was 15 (now 35). They are nasty. Asked my dentist about the problem but she did not know what i was talking about, i sure am glad i found this site

45. Hunnie October 27, 2012 at 12:17 am - Reply

I thought I have lung cancer pharngeal cancer since the stones became red. I didn’t know this is common for people. I’ve had this for many years and didn’t know until I googled in ‘coughing up small pieces of white’ (I have no clue what you call them). I always thought it was food residuals. It would get stuck in my throat and I have to cough it out. It has a foul smell to it. I think my breath starts to smell like this tonsil crypt! Good to know that I don’t have cancer!

46. LULZSEC October 28, 2012 at 11:22 am - Reply

Haha they smell terrible, and if you think otherwise, you don’t have what we’re describing. I hate these things but can get them out relatively easy. I literally just wash my hands and push the sides of my tonsils and they pop right out. It’s really nasty…

47. jen October 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm - Reply

I ALWAYS thought they were circumvallate papillae (the larger taste buds at the very back of the tongue) shedding due to infection or something. I am so glad this page exists! Tried to ask my husband if he’d ever had them and he just looked at me like I was nuts.
    I’m here because I coughed one up tonight and MY DOG ATE IT!! I was horrified. She’s definitely not getting any kisses any time soon, ewww.
    Just an idea- you don’t need to buy a water pick, you can use a syringe like they give you for cleaning after wisdom tooth removal… I’m gonna go clean out my tonsils now, yay!

48. KB October 31, 2012 at 11:08 am - Reply

I was drinking Pomegranate Cherry Juice today and for some reason it helped me to get rid of some that had been bothering me for a good while. Give it a try if you’re having trouble getting rid of them.

49. onlyme November 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm - Reply

I googled n got this page and so glad i did, answered my questions and give me a hell of a gud laugh. got my first one today- got it out wasnt nasty r bad but have now got a hole on the back of my throat- fun times. i was bit woried now im extreamly entertained readin the comments. nyt

50. I'm not alone anymore November 2, 2012 at 8:04 pm - Reply

I thank you all because I have felt alone with this for sooo long. It tickles me to finally google it and read all of your responses. I was at work one day having a conversation and was kind of keeping my mouth tight because of the odor that i didn’t want anyone else to smell. I went to laugh at a joke and 3 small pieces flew out of my mouth. I wanted to cry but nobody actually saw it. I used paper to retrieve them and later investigated. How can something so small, stink so bad. I thought something was wrong in my stomach or something really bad was happening. THANK you all for helping me relieve the tension and worries.

51. Can't Stop Laughing November 3, 2012 at 8:05 pm - Reply

I can’t stop laughing. I’ve had the same problem for years along with my sister, but these comments are hilarious. I will let my sister know about this website. I am crying with laughter at these posts. I love the term “crap nuggets”.

• tonsil January 20, 2013 at 6:10 pm - Reply

So tonight while I was trying to dig one of those horrible chunks out of my throat, I gagged so hard from the q-tip that I vomited totally out of control. Sprayed across my mirror and all over me, as I was running for the bathroom I almost fell..*this has NEVER happened to me ever..so be careful digging folks. Its funny as can be now that I look back, but I will now forever have a phobia about digging into my throat again. Geez I didn’t even press that hard.

52. Nasty mouth November 8, 2012 at 12:02 am - Reply

My family has been aware of these little nuggets for years. We call them “exactlies.” Because they smell exactly like your butt.

53. lilbutbad December 9, 2012 at 10:41 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for this post. I have been noticing a nasty taste in the back of my mouth and my ears have been bothering me, Lately my husband has been saying my breathe smells bad so I was thinking maybe I have a cavity or something. Tonight I sneezed and one of those stink bombs came flying out of my mouth. I continued to cough and a couple more came out. I was horrified and distusted all at same time! Thanks again for the info and for the laughs that I got from other post.

54. Austen Wright December 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm - Reply

OH MY GOD I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE. I always assumed they were chunks of old food, but the past year I’ve been getting them almost every other day, and the past few days a really large amount have been stuck in the back of my throat, leaving me with a reeeally uncomfortable feeling. I’ve been trying to dig them all out for two days but god it’s tricky.

I’m really relieved to hear they’re not harmful or rare, just really annoying and gross. Phew.

55. hawk December 18, 2012 at 2:38 am - Reply

yea it smells like the develop in the asshole and somehow travel all the way to your mouth

56. Louise December 19, 2012 at 10:08 am - Reply

Phew!! I thought I was just a gross individual! the smell of the first one i ever braved sniffing has haunted me, im petrified im going to cough one up when im teaching and be forced to swallow it *shudders*
    Thanks so much for this article! I’m now aware its not just me, im not going to die and it also gave me a laugh :)

57. johnny December 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm - Reply

Yeah..I had one of those bad smelling collie flower that s*** was gross

58. cho252 December 26, 2012 at 11:49 pm - Reply

Omg, these comments are cracking me up. Hope I don’t wake my wife up laughing so hard. I started getting these when I was a teenager and asked my dad about them once. He called them “sneeze kernels” because a lot of times they show up when you sneeze. I figured no big deal and assumed they were fairly common since he knew about them, but since that day I’ve never met another person who said they experienced them (not like it comes up in casual conversation anyway). Coughed one up tonight and googled “what are those nasty smelling things from the back of my throat” and here I found myself. Glad to know there are others afflicted with this problem and theirs smell just as bad as mine I’m sure. I will admit though I’m probably a little nastier than your average bear. I’ll sometimes put one or two on my finger and try to trick my kids into smelling them. MUAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, I’m crazy, I know.

59. becka8907 January 2, 2013 at 9:09 pm - Reply

I call them death’s dingleberries….So glad I’m not alone.

60. sNdra January 18, 2013 at 6:22 am - Reply

I thought I was Alone

61. Amber January 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm - Reply

I get them to in the back of my throat from time to time.. I never tried to take them out. Once in awhile if i sneeze or kind of cough they will come out! Does anyones tonsils hurt like underneath their jaw on a throw it sore to touch?? And if you look in the back of my throat it looks disgusting. Just curious ;)

62. JA January 23, 2013 at 6:27 am - Reply

This has just started to happen to me much more frequently and others are saying similiar things. It could be increasing because of stuff in the air, for example possibly chemtrails.

63. Sandra January 23, 2013 at 11:14 am - Reply

O.M.G.(!) I’m reading this thread at work and can’t stop laughing. It’s an absolutely disgusting thing but yet funny to read others are experiencing the same drama – I guess misery really does love company. I am seriously considering consulting with an ENT about getting tonsils removed. It is embarassing. I don’t even feel comfortable talking to my own children in fear they’re going to say my breath smells. I’ll tell you this much, the gum industry is doing very well these days. :-/

64. Funky Chunky January 26, 2013 at 8:04 pm - Reply

So glad it’s not just me. Luckily, I haven’t had the perpetual bad breath (I make my friends smell my breath all the time. Is that normal? Lol) But those chunks smell like the inside of a dead skunk’s ass when they come up. I’ve never been able to pick them out with any kind of utensil, but when I feel them back there, I can usually work them out by sorta sucking at the back of my throat, if that makes any sense.

BUT…. The best part of this thread for me is the fact that all of us at some point coughed up something strange and immediately smelled it. Hahaha!!!

• AT January 27, 2014 at 8:49 pm - Reply

HAHAH! I find your comment hilarious because I’ve been like ..sucking in my throat all day trying to get it out of there! And my mom just thought it’s only a feeling from previously being sick until I showed her the big white chunk hiding in my throat. I haven’t really noticed bad breath along with it or bothered to wonder about the smell until I read these comments! :P
      Thank goodness for this article, now I can tell everyone I know it’s an actual thing!!!

65. Smiley January 26, 2013 at 11:45 pm - Reply

I googled this and by fluke found this article and comments I have a stitch I am laying on the couch laughing that hard, thought I had some sort of throat cancer!! Hahahaa

66. Jeanie January 29, 2013 at 3:28 pm - Reply

I usually get these if I’ve had allergies or a cold where there’s a lot of mucus drainage. It’s gross to think all that nasty stuff collects in the back of your throat. The first time I had one of these I thought I had strep (white dots in the back of the throat being one of the symptoms of strep) and got so freaked out and almost called the doctor. Then I felt the urge to touch the white spot… The thing came off of my throat and I was like “what the hell?” The thing smelled like a mixture of butthole and really bad breath. Ick! Every once in awhile I check back there with a flashlight and push on my tonsils a little bit to see if I’ve got anything in there. I could see how this could cause bad breath!… Probably smells like you munched on a terd or something! Ewww!

67. aahtion alwxanswe January 29, 2013 at 6:33 pm - Reply

I’m going through this now, i can’t seem to cough them up. so I decided to look up what they were called and how to get rid of them. but I also thought I was alone in this matter. it’s funny to know I’m not the only one. lol…lol…lol! they stink like a can of shark ish and i can’t stand them!

68. Bart January 31, 2013 at 6:23 am - Reply

I first noticed I had this issue when I was about 17 years old. I was scared something was wrong with me. I popped a big one out and saved it in a plastic bag to take to the doctor. I told my mom about it and she acted all weird and said that was nothing and it wasn’t worth going to the doctor about. I immediately became terribly ashamed and thinking I was alone. For years I would try to force those things out terrified someone would find out, especially a boyfriend! When I was in my late 20s I was talking to a coworker about dental stuff when she told me her dentist told her she had deep crypts where “dead things” grew. I suspected I wasn’t alone. Since the Internet I have been able to learn more about them and even how to keep my tonsils free of these things. I have learned where all my crypts are and where they lead and I flush them with a syringe with salt water. I always know when I am needing to because I get a taste of something weird sometimes then I clean them out the next chance I get. To this day, my BF of 15 years doesn’t know. It’s not sexy conversation to say the least!

69. Neisha February 1, 2013 at 8:48 pm - Reply

Omg I just had a big one that smelled like a fat man’s ass crack on a sunny day ugghh I am so disgusted is it a wonder way the human mouth is so disgusting

70. Sian February 6, 2013 at 1:59 am - Reply

Haha I love the comments. I asked my younger brothers about them once they had no idea what I was going on about so I left it. I’ve had them for a while however this morning had an almost black one :/ I think now it’s time to go to the doctors. I always had inflammed tonsils growing up. Has anyone been to the doctors?

71. Lola February 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Thank God I’m not the only one! I’ve been getting these since I was thirteen and I’m sixteen now. Today, I felt what I always called ‘stinky throat bombs’ and literally wanted to die since I was hanging out with my boyfriend. I was honest with him though and he told me he had the same problem, but not so often. So I decided to Google it and stumbled upon this very post. Honestly, I’m literally dying with everyone’s comments. I’m supposed to be studying and I’ll probably wake up my whole family at this rate. Thanks for the reliable info and for giving me a good laugh everyone!

By the way, sorry if my English isn’t good. It isn’t my native language. :)

• isthisthingworking? October 24, 2013 at 4:39 am - Reply

As an aside: You certainly don’t need to apologize for your use of the English language. There are citizens of the USA that don’t use it as well as you do.

• isthisthingworking? November 1, 2013 at 4:23 am - Reply

Correction: “…that don’t use it” should be “who don’t use it…”.

• Tamsin Mc Cormick January 3, 2014 at 8:52 am - Reply

Americans don’t speak English they speak American ! Different alphabet, different spelling rulkes, different pronunciation rules, and in many cases different words.(jail,gaol etc )
          I do concede that some of the words are archaic English which means that they are obsolete in modern usage.

72. Trina February 13, 2013 at 3:01 pm - Reply

I always thought it was chunks of tortilla that got stuck in the back of my throat. (I am Mexican & eat a lot of tortillas) I am glad I am not alone and they do smell like dog poo.

73. pk February 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Omg every time I asked my mom about them she laughed at me and said I’m making a big fuss about it. I am happy that I’m not alone. I asked my doctor and he had no idea what I was talking about. It’s so disgusting and I hate them with a passion. I desperately want to dig them out and sometimes get sore throat as I mess around with my tensile. anyway good lock digging them out !!!!! and thx for the info

74. Rachael February 14, 2013 at 7:39 pm - Reply

They first started for me when I was in college and took up smoking; I thought they would go away when I quit, but they didn’t. They’re absolutely disgusting. Fortunately I only get them every couple of weeks or so.

75. Josh February 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm - Reply

I hate these things…. My girlfriend and i have always called them ‘Breath Balls’. Usually they come out when I use listerine. It somehow just lifts them out of my mouth. Magic.

76. Golum February 26, 2013 at 7:43 am - Reply

Ive been picking this out of my throat with a pencil for years. Deadly scared of being caught in this compomised position. Glad Im not alone and digging isnt THAT weid after all.

77. Dom February 28, 2013 at 4:16 pm - Reply

I was about 8 years old when these little b*****ds started popping up every so often. For some reason they disappeared for years, and only started again at around 16. I’m now 20 and they still pop up every now and again. Might get my hands on a syringe and do the salt water cleaning thing. Although, a little part of me wants tonsilitis so that I wouldn’t have to deal with them anymore. Nice to not be alone though. :)

Fun fact; Pirates didn’t wear eye-patches because they had missing eyes. They wore them so that when they went from sunshine above deck to darkness below deck, they could switch the patch over, and the eye that was then exposed would then have better night vision, and they wouldn’t have to pause to let their vision adjust.

78. patricia king March 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm - Reply

I had those white smelly stuff from the time I was small now I am a woman.My mother took me to the doctor and he give me antibiotics and that cleared it up for a while.I really hate them and the very first time it came out and ya squeeze it and smell that scent alone is very deadly.Thank God for being alive after smelling those white stink bombs.

79. Todd March 3, 2013 at 3:50 am - Reply

they are evil.. the only way to get rid of them is to gargle hydrogen peroxide mixed with water and it kills them.. when i eat sugars and sweets thats when they are bad.. i just do the gargle twice a day and i dont have a problem anymore.. its safe enough.. GPs recommend it.. its the only thing that kills the bacteria, as mouth wash is crap.. doesnt do anything..

80. Tamber March 4, 2013 at 9:01 pm - Reply

My throat was hurting just are the right side along with my right ear.. so I looked in the mirror and saw the white… the tonsil part was really hard and it scared me so I looked it up and found this website.. I just pushed it all out and yes it is nasty there were 3 big ones and 2 small ones… I gagged and threw up… but my throat and ear instantly felt so much better when it was all out and over…

81. Fayth March 7, 2013 at 5:05 am - Reply

I have had these for months. my breath has been really bad. I had no idea what it was. thanks so much for the info. I had gone to the dentist thinking i had cavity but found none. went to see the doctor bout it but could not find the cause. I am so glad I am not alone. I can imagine what my husband has gone through with my bad breath. thanks again for the info.

82. briana March 13, 2013 at 7:33 pm - Reply

wooowww, im so glad I found this. I have been getting them for awhile now, but had no idea what they were. I was soooo self conscious to even kiss my boyfriend. but ive learned how to pop them out when i feel one. its pretty simple. i open my mouth to make sure i can see them, if i can see them, i usually just take my two index fingers and gently squeeze the area they are in. and they pop right out.

83. emr March 15, 2013 at 1:38 am - Reply

Oh I’m so glad I’m not the only one!, I usually don’t comment on blogs but this topic is worth commenting to say thanks and for all the ec comments !,
    I’m also terrified that someone gets to see me takingg them off, specially cuz’ dad says I’m loosingg some weight(I’m exercising) but I don’t want him tto see me with a toothbrush on my throat, it may look like I wanna throw up or I suffer from bulimia or something Lol!

84. emr March 15, 2013 at 1:46 am - Reply

Btw, those who wrote the anecdotes for the cancer thing, and the pencil really made me laugh out loud, maybe if I keep laughing that hard, the stones will come out! LOL!!

85. FesteringKadaver March 16, 2013 at 3:37 am - Reply

I first experienced these a the age of 11, and they seemed to show up from time to time after that.
    I always wondered what they were, as one time I squeezed one and it smelled so bad I exclaimed-son of a “f@#ck stick!”. The smell was so putrid that one would conclude that I had dined on an a$$ roast.
    I always new that they were a normal occurrence, but just didn’t know the cause of their presence. But thanks to this blog, I do now. And knowing is is half the battle.

86. august March 22, 2013 at 12:03 am - Reply

I never thought to look inside my mouth to see where these were coming from, and today I discovered a large one that was attributing to my ear ache. It all makes sense now. These death smell balls were causing my bad breath and ear aches!! I always thought the three were separate problems but now I can place all the blame on the stinky balls of death!!
    After reading these comments, I strapped my camping headlamp and got to poking. It wasn’t long until I coughed up a few stink bombs and voila, my ear instantly feels better. Great to know the source and love reading all the hilarious comments. Beats doing calculus homework.

87. Sewerrat March 28, 2013 at 1:10 am - Reply

Yeah I’ve been getting these for years. Some months I don’t get any then out of the blue they’ll start popping out every second day. I hate them. They make me feel like I’m dirty. . And I had no idea they’re the cause of halitosis. Now I’m freakin out that I have terribly bad breath and the whole office talks about it ! The other day I was discussing some work stuff with a colleague and one must have dislodged and was sitting in my mouth. I ran off and spat in the bin, she was horrified and was like “WTF is wrong with you”. First world problems but still, that shit is RANK.

88. Caspy7 March 30, 2013 at 3:54 pm - Reply

“Many suffer in silence believing that their alone…”
    they’re

89. Connor m April 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm - Reply

For anyone that suffers from these, go to a drug store and buy some Biotene. It’s a mouth wash that gets rid if them quickly, while improving your breathe. I use it every night just to prevent bad breathe and these “satan stones”. Good luck

90. Flexible April 2, 2013 at 6:23 am - Reply

Well…I’ve never tried to actually smell mine cuz my first thought when I pull little white balls out my throat is not to sniff it. And also how would I know what my a** hole smells like? My nose can’t reach it…unless if I were flexible as crap.

91. db April 4, 2013 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Just about the only time I ever get these is right about when I realize I’m getting sick with a bad cold/sore throat/flu kind of thing and then they continue off and on about a week after being sick! I never knew they had a name, thanks for the interesting article!

92. bryn April 11, 2013 at 2:40 am - Reply

Ok i have had thse little nasty buggers since i was a little kid i would ask my parants about them they would look at me funny i always get these big ones stuck in the back of my throat and would start makeing a growling type noise like i was trying to get a lougie out my throut and get yelled at being told the noise aind proper and to go blow my nose thought about asking my doc but never had to hack one up when at the docs just glad its not some thing i realy need to b fearful off

93. eleana April 11, 2013 at 6:23 pm - Reply

omg i am a highschooler and some times i will be siting in class talking to someone and the chunks come up and i can taste it and it smells and i have to excuse my self and go spit it out then ask for a peice of gum so that my breath will stop smelling bad gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

94. Neveragain April 15, 2013 at 4:14 pm - Reply

This is literally the nastiest thing ever. I googled this to figure out what it was and I wish I didn’t. I can’t get them out because my gag reflex is too sensitive and the thought of these things just chillin in my throat is so vile that I’ve just been walking around gagging every 2 seconds. This is horrible.

95. i'manidiot April 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm - Reply

I read the word methane so I decided to do an experiment. If you light them on fire they crackle and pop.
    ps. don’t do it in your room with the windows shut if unless you want the stench of burning shit :(

96. Me April 17, 2013 at 11:08 pm - Reply

I’m so glad I decided to google this. Just was woken up by coughing up the biggest on I’ve ever had. I noticed these things about 2006 and nobody knew what I was talking about I get them from time to time and you can always know when they there. Cause your breathe smells horrible like even after you brush your teeth. IF ANYBODY can help me with ways to get rid of them please let me know

97. worry wart April 21, 2013 at 3:56 am - Reply

Thank you all for your stomach turning story’s lOl, Maybe it is a tonsil stone, I also have a whitish thing on my left tonsil right now, an its annoying feels like a piece of popcorn kernel is stuck back their , I don’t want to poke it out thou because I’m a big ass baby an I don’t wanna do something that can damage my mouth, So now I sit an wait with this “circus folk shit” in my mouth until I sneeze I’m just waiting for it to get out, I use warm salt water almost everyday now an keep teeth brushed daily an It still wont go away, I’ve had it for about a week now….??? kinda freaked out about it. anyone have any other kind of remedies to help it out.

98. JR April 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm - Reply

Some hilarious comments on here but i was scared too thought i had some sort of mouth cancer. Definetly gunna get some kick ass mouth wash next payday these things smell like satans vagina

99. Dog balls April 21, 2013 at 3:56 pm - Reply

These comments are hilarious. I have gotten these since I was a kid. Only one friend of mine I knew got them also. We called them “Dog Balls” because of their scent being so akin to dog shit. So glad other people get them. My boyfriend thought I was an anomaly. I’m sure digging “dog balls” out of your throat is wicked attractive anyways. Ha!

100. TS April 22, 2013 at 10:16 am - Reply

Gosh now I can tell my family that I’m not MAD!! And I’m so glad I decide to google this now I know I’m not alone..

101. Julie April 23, 2013 at 1:32 pm - Reply

The first time I’ve ever experienced one of these was in highschool. A friend and I were sitting in my room and I coughed one up into my hand. We were both grossed out and I immediately threw it into my older brother’s room. I’m in my thirties and that friend and I still laugh about it. I’ve forwarded this article to her and we are both having a good laugh.

102. sss May 15, 2013 at 11:34 am - Reply

:) I am happy..I thought my brain was over growing and is coming out via mouth.. Thought was a tumor and was sad, I didn’t want to get it checked up and confirm a tumor.. Just thought to give it a search in Google, when it came out just now and alaas..this site came to my joy!!!

103. Alana Forsyth May 26, 2013 at 9:31 am - Reply

The article said, “Studies have shown that people who have had their tonsils removed, under most circumstances, almost never experience tonsil stones.”

Well, it would seem that without the tonsils, and the crevices in which these things form, there could not be any of them, doesn’t it? So the quoted statement above seems a bit odd.

• kittyshines September 19, 2013 at 8:04 pm - Reply

I wondered the same thing

104. Brooke May 30, 2013 at 4:20 am - Reply

OMG I was wondering what that horrible smell was in the back of my throat! I looked back there and noticed a white chunk on the side of my right throat. So I decided to take a q tip and poke at it and it came out. Along with a bunch of other little white pieces. They smelled like butt so I decided to look it up and here I am!

105. Sam June 14, 2013 at 4:57 am - Reply

Finally some answers, those things are so irritating. They happen so often for me, and in a big amount ugh.. This article was very useful.

106. Rachel June 21, 2013 at 5:43 pm - Reply

I have had these since a kid. Back then they were small and I would spit them out. One day in college it felt like there was something in my throat and I couldn’t get it out. I finally took a look and noticed something white. I pulled it out and it was HUGE! Ever since then i have been forming ones not that big, but rather large. I just stick my finger in and push them out. I wish there was a way to stop these or shrink them without mutilation.

• Jakson September 2, 2013 at 3:23 pm - Reply

This cure worked for me and was suggested by a doctor who recommended *against* removing tonsils:
      Gargle with warm salt water morning and night for 2 weeks.
      That’s it. Nothing magical. I didn’t believe him, but it costs nothing. Sure enough, after pushing out the biggest suckers with a Q-tip, I did it for a little over a week, the folds in my tonsils shrunk, and these nasty bastards have almost never shown up again. I’d had these all my life and am finally free. Stick with the program for 2 weeks. It will work.
      Add’l note: to maintain this, be sure to brush your tongue and gargle with regular, clean water at the very end.

107. Deonna June 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm - Reply

The earliest memory I have getting these was in high school , and I remember asking my doctor about it. His response still makes me shake my head today. He said “just try not eating bread?” Okay?.. No thanks?
    In any case, I still get them often. I am soo self concious about having bad breath! I have even visited an ear nose throat doc. His only recommendation was to remove tonsils.
    Okay?.. No Thanks Again?
    I find more support and informtion by reading comments from others who actually deal with these things. So felt the need to share?
    My goal was to find the right tool to get these nasty fowl things out of my throat!
    What I use is a tool for pimples! Double yuk I know! But I do not use it for pimples, I use it only for my throat and clean it after each use with rubbing alcohol or peroxide. The tool is called a Black head/ White’ head Extractor. It has two ends. Oneend is flat. But I only use the other end which is a round loop slighty curved. After I remove the tonsil thing I clean the tool and gargle with diluted peroxide!
    Its annoying to have to deal with this. But the alternative is worse. My friend just had his tonsils out. He was in pain for two weeks after.

108. Jeremy June 27, 2013 at 7:03 pm - Reply

This is one of my first experiences with one of these. I can’t get them out thanks to my good old friend the gag reflex. They are pretty much behind the tonsil but I can see them. Any suggestions of how to avoid the gag reflex?

• Connor m June 27, 2013 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Use all finger but your thumb on your left hand. Take the tips of them an push into your palm. Almost squeeze really tight while creating pressure on your palm. The “Pain” (not really) distracts your brain and then you can lose your gag reflex temporarily! Hope this helps.

• Steve August 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm - Reply

I finally found an easier way to get rid of the stones than having to push them out with a Q-tip. Search Amazon.com for the “Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser”. It is $45, but it is worth it and gets rid of the stones easily. It also works great as a floss alternative. Basically this thing shoots a targeted stream of water out the tip at varying pressure. At the highest setting it can be extremely powerful so I recommend setting it at 2 or 3 at the highest for the delicate tonsil. Just fill up the reservoir with warm water (add a little crest pro-health 50+ for even better results). Then look in the mirror and squirt the little suckers out. You will be amazed at how easily they come out into the sink and it is so much more gentle on the tonsil and for those that have a bad gag reflex. Hope this helps.

109. Matt June 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm - Reply

I just found that using a wash rag wet or dry works GREAT you take the rag and rub it against the white part. Hope this helps me like its help yall

110. Epiphany June 28, 2013 at 5:38 am - Reply

Oh my freakn gosh I thought I had mono ! I was really gonna kill myself, my mom would kill me !

111. Peyton June 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm - Reply

I have a small white one on my tonsil.I it hurts when I swallow.and it feels like it’s just a sore throught.and I can’t wait for it to go away!!!

112. Critical Thinking FTW July 3, 2013 at 2:12 am - Reply

“The average American [...] drinks 11,000 gallons of liquid during his life.”

“We each produce about 10,000 gallons of saliva in a lifetime.”

So… we drink 11,000 gallons of liquid, produce 10,000 gallons out of our mouths, and… never pee?

Seems legit.

Daven Hiskey July 3, 2013 at 2:29 am - Reply

@Critical Thinking: Do you spit all your saliva or swallow?

• Fletch July 5, 2013 at 2:07 am - Reply

Never thought about sweating?

• Tamsin Mc Cormick January 3, 2014 at 8:46 am - Reply

Well it all depends on how big your bladder is and how long a lifetime is !!
      But I think I manage about a pint a day approx. so 1 x 365 x (your age minus 18)/8
      For me that is 2053 gallons – Can you tell my age from that ?

113. Kay July 10, 2013 at 8:22 am - Reply

Thank you, I went to any ears, nose and troat Doctor and asked him what they were a couple months ago and he said it was food.
    I have had them since I was a Child. This makes me feel much better. I had asked by family and no one else had them.

114. minika July 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm - Reply

I have had my tonsils removed but I’ still getting tonsil stones…

• Tamsin Mc Cormick January 3, 2014 at 8:40 am - Reply

Drin more water – they are a symptom of dehydration . Just a small glass of water with your meals will do it. It doesn’t cost much and it it very effective.

115. LINDA July 11, 2013 at 7:27 pm - Reply

I am so glad to finally know what these little things are, I like a lot of others was scared to ask the Dr about them thinking it was something really bad. I have had them since I was achild.

116. Rockmonster July 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Ugh! Something I didn’t know about and many people have. Only when I have a real bad sore throat do I see whitish areas on the tonsils. Otherwise I don’t see these things. Cough them up? I have lost my appetite for good. I have been blessed. Thank you GOD.

117. Michael July 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm - Reply

PLEASE, do NOT use a Waterpik or any similar oral cleansing device on your tonsils!!
    The high pressure water could do damage to the soft tissue causing severe injuries to the tonsils.
    I wish the author would do a better job researching before posting bad advice.
    It is however, good to spread information about this condition. However disgusting it may seem we are can all be affected by similar afflictions!

118. Tricia July 18, 2013 at 10:55 pm - Reply

I get those nasty things often. I believe I usually get them from soft tortillas…so gross!!! I blame most of mine on Taco bell. :~) but continue eating there anyway lol

119. sahas July 20, 2013 at 5:42 am - Reply

i spat one for the 1st time when i was 10 yrs old…funny back then i thought they were mushroom bits from my meal….need to admit the smell is kinda addictive.i don’t want to say i like it but i don’t want to say i don’t like it either….when i bring it close to my nose,smell makes me hold near my nose for a rather long time…

120. Dwayne July 20, 2013 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Thanks for your info.I was scared I had Cancer of the Lungs. I have COPD real bad. May GOD BLESS.

121. Benthere July 23, 2013 at 8:03 am - Reply

Get your dentist to give you a syringe with a curved tip on it. You can use insert the tip behind the stone/inside the crypt, and gently flush the crud out.

122. Jameson July 26, 2013 at 4:16 pm - Reply

They are actually called grembinis. Stinky things.

123. Syl Linares August 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm - Reply

My son started getting tonsil stones about a year ago at the age 17. They made his breath stink and every morning he had to dislodge these things from his throat. I took him to a ETN specialist who recommended a tonsillectomy. Son was in pain for weeks afterwards but he is 100% healed now and free of tonsil stones. He does not regret he surgery.

124. Jay August 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm - Reply

Wow! Tort I was d only one to get these! Lol! Ive been getin them for years and nevr thought to go to the doctor. I use to try n poke dem out a toothpick!! Crazy! But they use to irritate me so much I had to get them out. I stopped getting them for a while but recently started to get them again. Now im sitting here suffering frm tonsillitis. Doc prescribed me with antibiotics n today there are like millions of dese little things. Im itching to get them out wiv my toothpick (but it sometimes hurts) but I dnt wanna irritate my already very sore toncils! Im glad its nothing serious but its not very pleasant. Nasty smelling too ewww but luckily dont have bad breath!

125. Tennille August 7, 2013 at 10:35 pm - Reply

Have had them for a while I was youn when I first got them started to get them often when I smoked marijuana the. I stopped smoking for about 12years then now have started again cause of my cronic asma cause smoking makes my lung function more now I’m getting them again now more often do you think it’s from smoking marijuana anyone exsperiance this or just I?

Daven Hiskey August 7, 2013 at 10:52 pm - Reply

@Tennille: “cause of my cronic asma cause smoking makings my lun function more…” Have you talked to a doctor about that? While elements of the Marijuana may help with your breathing, smoking anything is not good for the lungs.

• Bernake January 29, 2014 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Try switching to vaporizing and see if that helps. There will less carcinogens and no smoke to inhale. While the THC, CBD and other therapeutic substances will be intact.

126. Mike August 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm - Reply

I had this problem all through my late teens until I was about 25. I’d brush my teeth at least 5 or 6 times a day. I thought I was going crazy. My mouth alway felt like I needed to brush my teeth, even after I had just brushed my teeth! But I never saw anything, It was always just a bad taste. Finally a white chunck came up one nite and I thought ‘What the hell?”…But I’d Never heard Anything about a problem like this, so I didn’t look into it . But it was always on my mind after the 5th time I’d brush my teeth in a day! About a year later I got a white chunck out into the palm of my hand. I wrapped it up in some paper and went to the Dr’s. I was freaking out. The Doc was very Ho-hum, no big deal…this stuff gets caught in your tonsils etc. Well, I’d been scraping the enamel of my teeth, brushing a zillion times a day for the previous 5 or 6 years, maybe longer…I was about 25yrs old at this time…Well, right then I lied to him and said I got sore throuts all the time. I wanted those tonsils GONE. The following week, I had my tonsils out and it was like Nite and Day! Immediatly! I wish I’d known about this problem and that it wasn’t just my imagination. I would’ve had my tonsils yanked Years earlier!

127. christy August 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm - Reply

i have just recently started to get these. My bf would tell me about my bad breath and i’d just go brush my teeth, but then I noticed what seemed like a head of something white form on my throat. I was so scared because I am a smoker and I thought it was a sure sign of cancer. Then I tried to feel it and when I rubbed my nail against it it popped out and smelled awful!!! Since about a week ago when it happened I have now had many and I think its the smoking that’s doing it. But I would love to know a suggestion on how to slow them down or make them stop besides getting my tonsils removed!

128. Abby August 15, 2013 at 4:08 pm - Reply

You guys aren’t going to like my response but I think this happens when you are eating foods that are building up in your system and not getting flushed out. I had recently decreased my sugar intake and while I’m gluten and dairy intolerant a week after eating some dairy products, I’ve noticed these in my throat and hadn’t seen them for years. I notice its happened after eating dairy and/or decreased immune system. They seem to go hand in hand for me.some people call this an overgrowth of candida or “yeast.” A few friends of mine who have halitosis eat dairy but are prob lactose intolerant too. If you want to figure it out, keep a food diary and see if cutting out certain foods helps. I recommend dairy first. Good luck!

• Abby August 15, 2013 at 4:11 pm - Reply

And by the way, most doctors won’t talk about diet they’ll just try to remove what’s perceived as the problem. Oh, it’s growing on your tonsils? Lets remove them instead of figuring out what’s causing it.

129. karen August 18, 2013 at 9:19 am - Reply

I am 49, I never had them until last month. I kept feeling like something was in my throat, and all I would do was try to clear my throat. I didn’t have bad breath though. Anyway I noticed I all of a sudden have a lot of sneezing, runny nose, type symtoms. I sneezed so hard it came flying out. I was amazed at the most foul smelling thing ever. Yet curious. A few minutes later as I was clearing my throat, little pieces started coming out. Now, A month later the same thing the sneezing, ect. Feeling of something stuck in my throat. I started trying to cough it up, all of a sudden I saw something on the bathroom floor the size of a marble. I thought it was a big piece of lint, I picked it up and again it was one of those NASTY stones. I felt better. But now today I feel that something stuck again, not as bad, but annoying. going to get the mirrior and a flashlight, to see if there are more. I hope this is allergy related and not a new thing to stay.

130. donna September 17, 2013 at 10:13 pm - Reply

I get them once every few months, but I am never sick and I also have never had tonsillitis. Glad to know what they are though.

131. Jeffrey September 18, 2013 at 8:09 am - Reply

Due to my experiencing copious throat infections, my parents had my tonsils removed when I was nearly 5 years old. As this article notes, I’ve never or virtually ever endured the awful scourge of tonsil stones. I am forever grateful for the attention and wonderful care my parents bestowed upon me.

132. PieAssassin432 September 18, 2013 at 3:56 pm - Reply

I get them solemnly, but I usually swallow them. When I actually got one, I smelled it and I almost passed out.

They are very small, and stinky!

133. kitty September 18, 2013 at 4:08 pm - Reply

For real ive been killing myself laughing here at these comments. . But this is serious.. my boyfriend thought id farted in bed. He said it was rotten. And that was me with my back to him haha. .. be picking em bad boys out now that I know you all do. Soooooo funny.

134. kitty September 18, 2013 at 4:13 pm - Reply

To add to this. Im also a bit intolerant to milk.. and had a glass yhe other day and the stones are back… its dairy intolerance. … thankyou to whoever posted that

135. kittyshines September 19, 2013 at 11:25 am - Reply

I have been getting these since having Mono when I was 10, b/c the Mono caused inflammation of my tonsils, causing them to enlarge. For some reason it’s only my right tonosil… that has remained enlarged with about 3 different “pits” that these gross things form in. They’re usually off-whitish/grayish but when I’ve been sick with like a sinus infection, they are sometimes greenish! I always thought it was just me and the other couple of people I knew that said they got them. God… I have been embarrassed for years and asked my doctor, who said that it was normal, what they are. And he said the same thing this article said. I routinely check my tonsil to see if there’s anything there… even though if there is I can usuallly feel it rubbing on the back of my tongue. I get a Q-tip and just pop them out. A couple of the pits are tight so when I press on the side of it the stuff “bursts” out, a little like a zit… lol. I sometimes have messed with it so much it bleeds.

136. kittyshines September 19, 2013 at 8:56 pm - Reply

Think what a weapon of mass destruction these things can be. Like, if you work as a food server, and have a particularly rude, hateful customer… pop one of these things out and hide in their food

137. cody September 24, 2013 at 11:22 am - Reply

Has anyone actually looked at these white bumps under a microscope because the image is bothersome.

138. Chinthaka October 11, 2013 at 8:16 am - Reply

I thought I am the only person who is having it.Thought it was hardened food particales.

139. Elizabeth Luna October 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm - Reply

Omg you guys I finally know what this ugly horrible stinky things are I was so scared I just got one today & I scratched it of & it left a big hole inside of my mouth this whole week I’ve been feeling like I was going to have an ear infection :’( thank God I finally know what this is :)

140. Nathan October 15, 2013 at 8:42 am - Reply

Oh holy crap… you people are funny! I think it is amazing to read your comments. I “lol’ed” at work…

I also thought they were some sort of nuts stuck in the throat.

I have never had bad breath from it, luckily.

I think the person who mentioned something about vitimins might be on to something. It seems to happen more if I use something high in vitimins… EX. I had an Emergen-C this morning, and then this happened out of the blue. It doesn’t happen very often… unless I’m on vitimins or something, it seems!

141. Andrew October 17, 2013 at 1:51 am - Reply

I think I’ve only had these nasty little stink balls a hand full of times but I thought they were some kind of mutated bugger. Last time I had one I could feel it in the back of my throught.

142. Ck October 18, 2013 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Jeez this crappy smelling substance keeps on coming back and when I get rid of them its just so painstaking to scrape them off. I think 4 weeks on the process… Men the smell was terrible but you get used to them… But its so embrassing and kissing my bf is way too not to go..

143. Butt breath October 18, 2013 at 10:42 pm - Reply

Now I am just pissed off to the MAX. I have had this issue all my LIFE! I am 39 yrs old just now learning of this. OMG I AM PISSED off at my mother!! Bad breath for 39yrs THANKS MOM!! When I was a young child a doctor suggested that she have my oral balls FROM HELL removed. Guess what I will be setting up an appointment for…. ;) I don’t give a flying $%!* what good they do for me. All the ear infections, strep, just sickly for all these years over my tonsils. TIME TO GO U LITTLE FUCKERS!!!!

144. Leeanna October 20, 2013 at 9:16 am - Reply

I have been coughing up these things forever the gag me for like a good half hr before I finally cough them up and they smell horrible! And then when I bring bring them up to people o just get a weird look but now I know they are normal. I used to get strep throat I don’t anymore though so I thought they were gone. Its been bothering me for about 2 days now.

145. Iil ole me October 28, 2013 at 1:45 pm - Reply

I’ve had this since about 12 years old. I never had bad breath problems but mouth wash did help them from resurfacing.

146. suerina October 28, 2013 at 5:51 pm - Reply

omg i thought i had that shit dont mind me i never heard if it and was about to loose my fucking mind lol thanks.

147. Josh Anderson October 29, 2013 at 3:44 pm - Reply

I totally thought I was the only one getting these & finally asked the doctor about them. My doctor said they were mainly caused by dehydration! Surprised the article doesn’t mention this. When I started drinking a lot more water every day they completely quit & my breath is way better! I haven’t had them for years! Water people! WATER!

148. Paris November 3, 2013 at 2:08 am - Reply

Omg these comments are HILARIOUS! I had really bad tonsillitis when I was about 12 had to miss my school
    Christmas party! & since that my tonsils have always been BIG with crypts! I’ve had tonsillitis so I thought after this about twice! Im now 21, But now I’m thinking was it tonsillitis my tonsils were inflamed with the stones but I didn’t get sick & it was nothing like when I was 12, For about 5 months on & off I’ve been getting tonsils stones is what I called them & mild bad breath I went to 2 different docs & a nurse, the nurse was right she said it was the mucus/debris & bacteria build up she recommended a non alcohol mouthwash with chlorhexidine which is an antiseptic ( Corsdoyl) I used it religiously untill the bottle finished about 3 weeks & it went but now it’s back now that I feel a little run down with a cold and I’m going to try the salt water but if that doesn’t work I’m getting them removed! It sounds like most of you have it really bad, but mine isn’t that bad but I’m not living with this I brush my teeth twice & floss I have good oral health I’m not suffering with this , especially if it can get worse like how some of you are saying they just come out, I’d rather save the embarrassment , I don’t want to live in fear, & I apologise if I’m making it sound like its the end if the world but it is for me, if I don’t like something I fix it! I suggest use should too :-)

149. Carol Walsh November 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm - Reply

oh my pooer son..he has had this for a few years…he’s only 10…His breath smells like a rotting fish tank!.. Went to docs with a sample and all he said was it was nothing..now we know it is something, but nothing to worry about…I will try to stress on him the importance of water even more now and see how that goes…surely there must be more that can be done apart from removing his tonsils?

150. Theresa November 4, 2013 at 7:55 am - Reply

lol, i used to think (since I was really little, I’m 34 now) that these nasty crap nuggets were from food that didn’t quite make it all the way through the intestines to be evacuated (if u know what i mean)..but somehow they were some extra before-crap crap that had to be evacuated another way. It was always gross when i used to see these little crap things..i haven’t seen them for some time now, but they show up from time to time, so now, thanks to sites like this, I will be more alert and knowledgeable about the crap nuggets. Thanks all for the funny funny comments. This made my day at work..I spent my whole lunch hour reading and laughing at this stuff…

151. Mary November 6, 2013 at 6:37 am - Reply

I too have had these since a teenager–always thought I was nuts. Over the last 3-4 years I got so sick of them, so I let some dry and when dried up they look like dried mucous.
    I am able to cough them up but my husband and daughter are sick of hearing me “hack”
    When I take allergy medicine they don’t seem be a problem.
    I get sick frequently (bronchitis, pneumonia, colds, etc) and wonder if these nasty things are contributing to it?? Anyone else tend to get sick frequently?

a Dr. told my mom I had enlarged adenoids as a child–wonder if getting rid of them and tonsils would improve my health??

152. Eduardo Linares November 6, 2013 at 12:14 pm - Reply

Hello im 23 years old just started getting this shiet some months ago. I really hate them. I just want to remove them to fried them (cook) and eat those suckers. At first I thought it was oatmeal eaten from the day before.

153. leo ranker November 6, 2013 at 7:52 pm - Reply

these are in no way normal. i never heard of these things before today. good grief they sound terrible.

154. anna November 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm - Reply

well it’s good to know what these dreadful things are…it’s been almost 6 months since i last had them. This week my throat has been so sore despite drinking lots of water…it’s annoying. I can never tell if it’s those white gross things or just my allergies acting up.

155. Cee DubOYew November 15, 2013 at 3:22 am - Reply

i have gone as far as using a toothpick to get them out. it works….im sure doctors would recommend not to, but i couldn’t take that feeling in the back of my throat

• Tamsin Mc Cormick January 3, 2014 at 8:34 am - Reply

Those narrow wooden coffee stirrers are the best for tonsilith removal .

156. Ken November 24, 2013 at 6:44 am - Reply

I get them during the Winter and these god awful little chunks are funkyyyyy! So glad I stumbled on this article..

157. melissa November 24, 2013 at 11:15 pm - Reply

I bearly got them,but I pushed them out with my finger tip,after that you can use hydrogen peroxide as mouth wash.

158. kel November 26, 2013 at 12:51 am - Reply

I have always felt so ashamed of these since it is really quite disgusting and anytime I tell anyone of my problem they all say the same thing “EW gross” and It sucks because I really can’t help it! i have been coughing these things up since I was a kid my dad used to pick them out for me when I was young since he suffers from them too, and being queezy I could never do it myself. Now they just come up at random times and I feel it while I’m laying in bed and I always have to get up and run to cough it up (just happened to me) it’s really gross and I’m ALWAYS so conscious of my breathe because my mouth always tastes bad. it really sucks for all of us suffering from these pain in the asses!

159. de December 4, 2013 at 7:19 am - Reply

Omg I just can’t stop laughing at these comments, i really thought i was alone, i wonder if my friends got it too. Thank God for this website

160. annie December 6, 2013 at 2:13 am - Reply

Yes! I am not alone….

But thank God this is not a serious issue.

161. ben December 9, 2013 at 5:36 am - Reply

I’ve had these since i was a kid. Over the years of battering to get them out found out the best was is to get a flat-head precision screwdriver and scoop them out. Sounds nasty but it works!

162. Amanda December 11, 2013 at 7:05 am - Reply

The first time I saw this big chunky white balls dropping out my throat I ran to the ER I was sooo freakin scared. Now I know I am not lone in my struggles

163. Tammy December 16, 2013 at 5:29 am - Reply

My son and I alway get these things. He’s 5 yrs old and it’s hard for me to take them out. I only get them when I smoke. And my son gets them when he drinks milk. If he doesn’t drink a lot of milk he won’t get them. If I don’t smoke (working on quitting) I won’t get them. You have to find out what it is that your eating drinking smoking or doing that causes the stinkers to come.

164. Austin December 16, 2013 at 8:05 am - Reply

Whew! I thought it was a lung tissue that’s why I went to the doctor to do medical analysis on my lungs because I was scared that I might have a tuberculosis xD I’m 15

165. E December 17, 2013 at 3:34 pm - Reply

I’m 14 and I got them a few years back, I told my mom and she said it probably just porridge oats stuck in my throat but she was wrong… I found out what they are!

166. david December 18, 2013 at 9:09 am - Reply

So glad to find this out. I thought I had some holes or pockets in my teeth that were creating these white balls. Due to its foul odor I thought it was just food.

167. Katie December 22, 2013 at 9:07 pm - Reply

Haha my brother and I call these things “puffys” . I’ve been getting them for years and I have gag-reflex problems where I gag with everything even if I cough wrong, so coughing these things up is such a hassle for me . Sometimes they get stuck too , it’s like a workout for me ! I honestly hate them and I can’t stick anything down my throat to get them out either , I just wish they would go away on their own and never come back!

168. lynette urbain December 25, 2013 at 5:40 am - Reply

The reason I Googled this cos I have suffered for years from these small lumps,often coughing them up in the night…… But I had my tonsils out many years ago, which it says rarely happens

169. jjcabore December 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm - Reply

We call them Asshole Balls…lol

• ar897 December 31, 2013 at 1:27 pm - Reply

OMG I’m sooooo glad that I finally found out what these nasty blasting things are!! they would randomly come up & my mom would say “eww that’s disgusting” & I had no idea there were other people suffering along with me!! thank god I found this article!

170. ar897 December 31, 2013 at 1:29 pm - Reply

and btw I was laughing sooo hard at you guy’s comments. my sister was staring at me like I went rabid

171. kitty January 6, 2014 at 3:00 am - Reply

Guys im pretty sure its milk. . After coming in here n reading I thought maybe milk. Ive an intolerance to milk.. and so eliminate it from my diet but take in tea… and so stopped the tea altogether. No more balls.. then after few weeks tried a cuppa again just to see… and sure as hell they came back!!!!! Defo milk guys.

172. moi January 6, 2014 at 10:05 am - Reply

OMG i thought i was going out of my mind, forever brushing and eating mints or gums. thank god its not that serious and how exactly do you use a cotton swap to take ‘em out ……………at least without choking yourself to death

173. James January 7, 2014 at 6:18 pm - Reply

OMG!! I’ve had these for years and have worried its throat cancer!! First time I found one I was working out and I caughed really hard and passed gas at the same time. I thought I tasted the gas in my mouth and then I felt the pea sized particle in my mouth. I almost Puked instantly and spit It into my hand. I inspected it and showed my buddy and he almost puked too! I had to leave my workout and really did think something was horribly wrong! So glad I finally found out after years!!

174. Terrie January 12, 2014 at 8:40 pm - Reply

I am so glad I stayed up to read all of these responses……I can so relate to all of this….I had them for years, and dealt with the unbelievable stench that these things would emit….well, after years of chronic tonsillitis, I finally bit the bullit and had my tonsils out…..that was over 10 years ago, and I can sincerely say I no longer have to live with “those little white things” as I used to call them!

175. Chuck January 15, 2014 at 11:11 pm - Reply

I’ve had this since i was a little kid i was so scared cause the first time it happened to me which i will never forget i was walking and lost breath and shot out like 7 – 10 when blowing out hard and been getting them ever sines but slowed down to like 2 – 3 at a time and thankfully doesn’t happen often anymore. after all these years thinking i had some sort of problem i now can put it to rest. Oh yeah and attempting to chew it to figure out what food it was was the worst idea ever!

176. Jenny January 18, 2014 at 12:44 am - Reply

I just finished reading all the comments and literally have tears streaming down my face… So funny! I started getting them in college after getting mono. My bf noticed he had then and then soon after, i coughed one up. I thought I caught the “chunks” from him or from mono! Now 15 years later I still get them. I can’t really see my tonsils so I’m not quite sure how to push them out… I always gag or squeeze them out. They are quite large every time like a marble. They smell horrific! I also have bad breath and blame these chunks. And those claiming not to have bad breath with this problem, I’m guessing you do!

177. Luke January 18, 2014 at 5:04 am - Reply

I’ve had these since I was about 6 and I’m fifteen now it’s gotten to the point I have to get my tonsils takin out bc the hole is so large and bothers me really bad. The small ones are about the size of a pencil eraser and are very hard to get out. The hole is so large I can literally stick my middle finger in it.

178. V.V.M January 22, 2014 at 4:07 pm - Reply

I read through some of this comments and I was seriously cracking up, at work. Like many I am glad I am not the only one. Those little things stink like poop mixed with more poop…I will try some of the suggestions here.
    Pheeeew I am not the only one…hahaha thank you all for the input.
    I thought it was food that didn’t make it out the other way…hahahaha sorry…

179. cmc January 24, 2014 at 1:01 pm - Reply

Ha! I use to get these when i was little around 6 or 7, and i called them “vomit balls”. After many bouts with ear and throat infections, i had my tonsils removed at 17 yrs old, and have never had another one since. Im 40 now.

180. pflea January 28, 2014 at 11:26 am - Reply

i saw them in my throat when i was a teenager and had a sore throat but didn’t know they could come out… thought they came and went with sore throats. until one day in my late 20′s? i was gargling with salt water and i felt one in my mouth as i was spitting out the water. i picked it up and moushed the hard white/yellowish kernel with my fingertips… it smelled geeeeross without even putting it to my nose… and when i did to verify the stench… whoa ~ i was mortified that i had had these in my throat and never realized their smell ~ but was so relieved that they could me made to come out! i looked in the mirror and saw one on the other side and made it my mission to get it out too. after trying several things like a qtip that snapped under the pressure to no avail… and everything else made me gag… i hunted for a particular slim, long appliance i could use (like the flat handled screwdriver suggestion). i looked in our silverware drawer and found a long handled silver baby spoon, and adopted it at my personal hygiene tool. i hold on to the curved spoon and put it my mouth along the inside of my cheek and when i get to the rim of my skin where the nasty curd is nestled all cozy like, i gently press the skin toward my throat and out pops the kernel! not wanting to swallow it, i quickly spit it out while i rinse the spoon. then use the curved end to go over the vacant hole to make sure i got it all and gently scrape it flat so it won’t gather more food or milk or whatever so fast! then i rinse with warm salt water to cleanse and seal the hole. i don’t get them very often anymore… but i eat better, less sugar, milk, don’t smoke, growing up… older…

since no one ever talked about this, i thought i was the only one plagued with this nuisance. thanks everyone for their suggestions and making me laugh and feel like a normal person! course now i don’t want to kiss anyone cause i don’t know if THEY have ‘em and don’t pluck ‘em out!!! ewwww, super yuck!

thanks TIFO! i was reading The Woman Who Survived All 3 ship disasters and stumbled on to this article!

181. Bernake January 29, 2014 at 8:48 pm - Reply

I am amazed at how many had these and suffered with dread not knowing what it was! I am also amazed that I never heard of this and don’t seem to cough these up.

182. Suzanne February 2, 2014 at 6:56 pm - Reply

I had an issue with the gross smell in my throat, and a few times when id cough or sneeze, one of those stinky things came flying out, heres the catch… had my tonsils out at 3.

183. Steve February 15, 2014 at 3:52 am - Reply

I use to get these got my tonsils removed, and poof never had them again!!! I was 26 when I had my tonsils removed it was very painful but it was worth it now because no more sore throat or tonsilitis!!!

184. yaan February 19, 2014 at 1:01 am - Reply

Ohh!! i am glad at last there are people a lot like me :P. i have this since a long time. When i feel my breath stinks i press my tonsils and let that thing out , and i feel my breath doesn’t smell nasty. Try this :P

185. Help me baby jesus!!! February 20, 2014 at 11:59 am - Reply

I AM IN TEARS!!!!! It literally took me 2 days to finish reading all these comments haha. I’ve had these off and on for about 6 months now and I too thought I was dying of some sort of disease. I always thought it was some leftover food but 2 nights ago I was laying in bed and felt the same discomfort in the back of my throat. I starter hacking away and this huge chunck came out flying. Since this was my first big one, I thought for sure I was getting closer to death so I did what any normal person would do in my situation to self diagnose and Googled it. I think people are on to something when they say that milk and sugar makes it worse. I’ve also been drinking way more water to see if it helps! Good luck to everyone on their quest to rid themselves of these balls from hell!

186. Gete February 22, 2014 at 8:56 pm - Reply

This white stinky popcorn, the smell is so bad; i don’t know how i can talk freely i have it for four years.

187. queen jones February 27, 2014 at 8:44 pm - Reply

I’ve also experienced these extremely ratchet smelling “ALIEN” balls from hell, lol. I recall my first one coming up during class when I was in elementary. It was about as big as pinky nail. I was freaked but to embarrassed to tell my teacher. So I wrapped it in some Kleenex but when I got home it was brownish n dried out. On many occasions growing up I would try to preserve one long enough for a doctor to examine it, but no luck. Im 39 now n eat things that i didnt for over 30 years, vegetables in particular.Nowaday’s I very rarely get them. I wonder if wat we eat plays any role in their forming. Oan im sooooo excited to know that I now have fellow “ALIEN” ballers! Lol

188. vicki March 2, 2014 at 2:02 pm - Reply

Well interestingly enough, I’ve had my tonsils removed (when I was 35) and thought that would be the end of these disgusting things but it is not! I still get them all the time.

189. american313 March 8, 2014 at 11:04 pm - Reply

Dang, up until now I thought they were boogers making their way down my throat.

190. Lisa March 10, 2014 at 10:50 am - Reply

My daughter had stones and she had a tonsillectomy and doesn’t have them anymore.

191. JP March 16, 2014 at 8:47 pm - Reply

Now I know. I enjoy pushing it out with a cotton swab since I was 12. Now I am 28. I sometimes use it to annoy my elder sister. :)

192. F March 28, 2014 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Those little bad boys smell worse than a hobo’s scrotum. I imagine. Just wanted to chime in here… Seems like significantly reducing dairy also minimized these tonsil stones for me. Looks like dairy is to blame for a heck of a lot of weird health maladies. Reduce your dairy intake for a period and see if that helps you. Good luck!

193. Gavin March 28, 2014 at 11:58 pm - Reply

I first noticed one of those when I was about 8 years old. I suddenly found that I had to swallow something right at the back of my throut, yet I had not eaten anything. So I thought no, I want to know what this thing is. With a herculean effort I managed not to swallow it and spit it out instead. It was a cream colour on the outside and darker towards the inside. Words fail me for the stink that came off that tiny thing. The worst bit about it is that I was convinced there was more because you could see where it had cracked off from another piece. I have too much gag reflex to ever to much about it, but a sure fire way to get them out is to take a really fast hike up a really high mountain with a heavy back pack. Just about when you think you are about to die and you are breathing so heavy that your throat sticks to itseft in pain from all the wheezing, they pop out.

194. Charlotte April 6, 2014 at 8:17 pm - Reply

I’ve had my tonsils removed and i just got these “tonsil stones” tonight, how is that possible?

195. Shaema Huni April 12, 2014 at 11:35 am - Reply

I’ve had this for about three months now and ever since then I’ve been thinking that it was a dead cell from my brain…. so glad to know its normal and its not just me !! =D

196. niki April 14, 2014 at 10:38 am - Reply

lmao.. I’ve been getting these a lot, i thought i had a nasty mouth infection, yuck

197. Devin Lien April 14, 2014 at 1:11 pm - Reply

I didn’t know what they were i though they were something coughed up from my stomach.