What Happens if a Cat’s Whiskers Are Damaged or Clipped

Julia 23

Today I found out what happens if a cat’s whiskers are damaged or clipped.

It turns out, cat’s whiskers are an essential sensory mechanism. Damage a cat’s whiskers and it will cause them not only discomfort, but also to become confused and disorientated, among other negative side effects.

Whiskers themselves are nothing more than a type of thick/long hair.  The importance of whiskers lies in the fact that they are deeply rooted in follicles which are surrounded by a muscle tissue that is very rich in nerves and sensory cells. These nerve cells in the roots are then connected to a special area of the cat’s brain.

While whiskers serve many functions, the main function of whiskers is to work as a type of environmental scanning system. Interestingly enough, cats don’t actually need to touch the objects with their whiskers to detect the object.  The nerves at the base of the whiskers are actually sensitive enough to be able to pick up even small air movements which vibrate the whiskers.  They are so sensitive, in fact, that cats can even pick up air movements indoors, such as air flowing around furniture, which lets the cat know there is an object there, even when it is pitch dark.  This is essential for cats because they are far sighted and have trouble seeing things clearly close up.  Being nocturnal in nature, this also helps them “see” more clearly at night while they hunt.

Understanding the basic function of cat’s whiskers, it’s not surprising how distressing it would be for a cat to lose their whiskers or have them damaged. Research has shown that cats without whiskers have trouble estimate the size of openings and can easily get stuck. Also, due to the fact that whiskers are important to a cat’s equilibrium, without them, they have trouble walking straight and have difficulty running.  They also tend to get disoriented and fall. Interestingly, experiments done with cats with whiskers cut short also show that they struggle to judge distances accurately and so will often misjudge jumping distances as well as occasionally run into things.

Luckily for cats, even should someone be so cruel as to clip their whiskers or if their whiskers are otherwise damaged in a fight or the like, as with other types of hair, whiskers will ultimately re-grow as long as the follicle itself isn’t damaged beyond the body’s ability to repair.

• Interestingly, there is also some evidence to suggest that whiskers aid somehow in helping cats detecting odors.
  • Like human finger prints, every cat’s whisker pattern is unique.
  • In addition to the obvious whiskers in horizontal rows on the ‘whisker pad’ of their cheeks, there are also whiskers between the corner of a cat’s mouth and the outer corner of the nose, on the chin, and the eyebrows, and on the back of the front legs.
  • The scientific name for a cat’s whiskers is ‘vibrissae’ which hints at their sensitivity to vibrations in air currents.
  • The breed of cat called the ‘Sphinx’ often has little to no whiskers.
  • As you might have guessed, blind cats rely almost solely on their whiskers to navigate.
  • When a cat is angry or defensive, the whiskers will be pulled back. When the cat is happy, curious or content, the whiskers will be more relaxed and pushed forward.
  • Cats don’t have a true collar bone, which allows them to twist their way through very narrow openings.
  • ‘To be the cat’s whiskers’ is a British idiom meaning ‘to be better than everyone else’.

1. Jane April 26, 2011 at 5:12 pm - Reply

Hi Julia, Did you cut and paste this article from somewhere? The egregious misuse of apostrophes (in several ways) doesn’t seen like the work of someone with a doctorate. Weird.

Daven April 27, 2011 at 10:45 pm - Reply

@Jane: Nope, but it should be noted that Julia speaks a ridiculous number of languages fluently (I’m personally a little jealous of how many countries she’s lived in and traveled too as well) ;-) and English was not her first. Technically it’s my job to check for typos and other such mistakes, so my bad. ;-)

2. Dante August 11, 2011 at 9:52 am - Reply

Wow, my cat has short whiskers because he would go in a little box we bought him… poor guy

3. Dan September 10, 2011 at 6:47 am - Reply

@ Jane
    You’re just jealous of her knowledge…
    You should be ashamed of your stupid comment.
    You should apologize and request the removal of your stupid comment.
    It had nothing to do with the subject or topic.
    You should learn to show respect and consideration to others!!!
    SHAME ON YOU!!!

• meadow2000 December 29, 2013 at 6:07 pm - Reply

she was not being rude dan she just thought it was copied

4. stephon January 19, 2012 at 7:12 am - Reply

im gunna cut my cats whiskers off and see what happens lol ;)

5. Kairii June 17, 2012 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Dan,
    Chill out, you’re being a douche bag.
    You’re not the internet police, stop wishing you were. Go back to living in your mom’s basement, troll.

6. Bree December 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm - Reply

This article could really help explain to my 19 year old brother why our dad screamed at him and told him his friends can’t come over anymore after cutting off my cats whiskers. He replied “So what? They grow back.” Idiot.

7. KtD81 January 7, 2013 at 9:59 am - Reply

Thank you for your info – my four year old daughter not only cut her hair up to her shoulders but also my gorgeous ragdolls whiskers! Now to find the second pair of scissors she has hidden on me & put them up high…..

8. luke January 12, 2013 at 9:05 am - Reply

well i cut off my moms cats whiskers and she wanted me to look up this and its really interesting

9. Allison Joyner January 23, 2013 at 8:29 pm - Reply

Why would anyone feel the need to cut off their cat’s whiskers in the first place?

• Julianne March 27, 2014 at 8:04 am - Reply

actually I was thinking about it, so I thought I’d look it up first. My cat has damaged his eye and fluid has been running out (he’s been to the vet and gotten drops) so the fluid has “glued” some of his “eyebrow”-whiskers to his eye.. he won’t wash it because his eye hurt so I was thinking about cutting them of to make sure they didn’t cause more pain but now I’m thinking I shouldn’t…

what do you guys think is worse? Having the whiskers stuck to his eyelid or having the tips of them cut off?

10. J S Bedi November 30, 2013 at 7:59 pm - Reply

For those who would like to cut off a cat’s whiskers…….try cutting your grand pappy’s pubic hair first…..that might be more entertaining and plus he has no use for them pubes anyway !!

11. J S Bedi December 29, 2013 at 11:09 pm - Reply

She was not being rude…..but I think its not right to alter animals to our satisfaction.
    I grew up in Nigeria and we had a pet Lion and we kept him just the way nature made him

• Joe April 2, 2014 at 7:05 am - Reply

Lol…no offense intended whatsoever, but you’re a few millennia too late. All dogs for example came from from breed and we’re inter-bred to create the many dog species we see today to create dogs for certain purposes to humans. As long as ppl treat the domesticated animals with the same care as they would they’re own child or family member, we should not worry but rather embrace the wonderful achievements made by dog breeding techniques which have now gotten down to a perfect science. Love your pets as you love yourself and life will be much more satisfying and full of smiles…Both for you and your pet companion!

12. some dude January 27, 2014 at 1:39 pm - Reply

Ah phew, I was worried for a sec, my cat walked way to close to a candle and now he has curly whiskers on one side. he looked a bit dumbfounded, but should be alright. thnx for the info

13. patricia February 1, 2014 at 5:03 pm - Reply

We adopted a stray that wondered into our yard. She has very short whiskers, so we assumed that some idiot had cut them off. We figured they would eventually grow back, but they did not. She wound up having kittens and two of them had identical whiskers, causing us now to assume that this is something in her DNA. I came across this article when I googled what breed of cat has short whiskers. Maybe she has some Sphinks in her. Anyone have any ideas?

14. Daniela June 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm - Reply

I remove all my cat whiskers with a tweezers. It looks much better. Whiskers is ugly and disgusting. :D

• becca July 28, 2014 at 5:34 pm - Reply

You’re disgusting.

15. Pam September 6, 2014 at 8:51 pm - Reply

We just gave my persian cat a shower and then my stupid big sister gave him a trim and she even like trimmed the cats whiskers. Im really pissed off because i told her: “not the whiskers!” Then she just trimmed them half. Im really worried for my cat because even though its trimmed only i still dont feel good about that he might not get to balance properly. :(