If the Olympics reminds us of anything, it’s that it’s incredibly enjoyable to watch human beings who’ve dedicated their lives to achieve what are essentially pointless records in the grand scheme of things go out and achieve them (or fail, as the case is for most).
In celebration of this human desire to do meaningless things that no human has done before, and to spend millions of man hours watching people make the attempt, here are 15 bizarre world records, with 10 more at the jump:
- The Longest Time Spent Instant Messaging: For 96 hours straight (4 days) Norman Perez of California sat at his computer typing to set the first record in this category. As per Guinness Book of World Records rules, he was allowed a 5 minute break every hour.
- Largest Rubberband Ball: Made up of over 700,000 rubber bands this record breaker was assembled in the driveway of Joel Waul in Lauderhill Florida. It is now owned by Ripley’s Believe it or not.
- Largest Commercially Available Hamburger: Weighing in at 164.8 pounds, you can find this monstrosity at Mallie’s Sports Grill & Bar in Southgate, Michigan for a hefty $400.
- Heaviest Vehicle Pulled Over 100 ft: Reverend Kevin Faist of Canada pulled a fire truck weighing 126,200 pounds the length of the course before millions of viewers on “Live with Regis & Kelly” in New York City
- Largest Shoe: With the ability to fit over 30 people within it leathery interior, the world’s largest shoe can be found in Turkey standing at 5.5 meters long and 1.83 meters high.
- Most Straws Stuffed in Mouth: Simon Elmore of Germany broke this record in 2009 by holding 400 straws in his mouth for 10 seconds.
- Most Spoons on Face: Achieved by Aaron Caissie from Canada, he managed to balance 17 spoons on his face at one time.
- Longest Nose: At 8.8 cm, the longest nose in the world belongs to Mehmet Ozyurek of Turkey who broke the record by having it measured on the set of an Italian TV show in 2010.
- Largest Collection of Navel Fluff: A librarian in Australia recently broke this record with 22.1 gram collection of fluff that he has been collecting for the past 26 years.
- Most Concrete Blocks Broken While Holding a Raw Egg: Joe Alexander of Germany broke 24 concrete blocks that were arranged in three stacks of 8 all while holding a raw egg in the hand he used to deliver the blows.
- Youngest Person to Climb Mount Everest: 13 year old Jordan Romero from California instantly became the coolest kid in school when he broke the previous record of 16 years held by Temba Tsheri of Nepal. He made the climb with his father and several local Sherpas.
- Most Snails on Face: In 2007, Fin Kehler had 43 snails put on his face for a total of 10 seconds to break the previous record of 36.
- Most Insured Hair: Pittsburgh Steelers Safety Troy Polamalu, who is also a spokesperson for Head and Shoulders, recently had his hair insured for a mind blowing $1 million.
- Longest Time Spent Buried Alive: Zdenek Zahradka of the Czech Republic survived 10 days buried in a coffin underground with no food or water and only a breathing pipe connecting him to the outside world. The previous record was 4 days.
- Tallest Man: Sultan Kosen of Turkey towers at 8 feet 1 inch due to a tumor affecting his pituitary gland. As a result of several recent operations at the University of Virginia his growth has been stabilized.